Thursday, April 19, 2012

Modern conceit

I'd really love to see a modern version of the Metaphysical conceit, like John Donne's "The Sun Rising". I've seen individual elements that show up in that poem, but never in a combination that produces the same effect.
I can think of countless examples of objects that are given unlikely powers through personification, like the newspaper in the song "Milk Thistle" by Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band:

"I'm just trying to kiss you
And you stab my eyes"

But I can't think of anything that goes as far as to turn the idea of something like the sun - something that has been constant throughout history and therefore its power and energy are rarely contested - upside down, using it as a metaphor for dullness, inconsistency, old age, etc.

I'd love to see what needs to be done differently to make a seemingly impossible, contradictory comparison like the one in Donne's poem work today. Would it sound different with simple, colloquial language? Which form would work best? Maybe slam poetry, because I can almost imagine someone taking Donne's idea and performing it - berating the sun, varying volume and speed for emphasis. But I think other forms could be effective as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment